I always test any diy products I blog about on here. This one received the longest test yet – almost 2 years. I love this deodorant. It’s super easy to make and so freakin’ cheap! It smells good and is not going to give me cancer. (*bonus*) I decided to try this almost 2 years ago because I was so tired of buying expensive deodorant!
Like anything, there are pros and cons to this deodorant.
- smells good
Possible Cons (depending on your preferences):
- NOT an antiperspirant (so you will still sweat)
- application is with fingers not a deodorant stick
- gets a little “melty” in high heat
- there are concerns about the cornstarch causing yeast infections – I have never had a problem.
Here is the original link where I found the ingredients:
After reading the ingredients and being unsuccessful in my attempts to find Arrowroot powder in a “normal” grocery store, I decided to take the original poster’s advice and use cornstarch.
Here is my recipe:
- 1/4 cup baking soda
- 1/4 cup cornstarch (or arrowroot powder)
- 4 Tablespoons coconut oil
- 10 drops essential oil (I use lavender.)
- Mix dry ingredients together.
- Add coconut oil and essential oil.
- (Coconut oil may be slightly melted to promote mixing, if necessary.)
- Place in airtight container.
- To use: Put a little on your fingers, and let it “melt” into your armpits. Adjust as necessary. I put it on once per day and it lasts.
Now because this is not an antiperspirant and you will still sweat, you will have some discoloration in your clothing (armpit areas). This will not be the yellow discoloration caused by many antiperspirants! This is from sweat, not the deodorant itself! If you need a way to get rid of those stains, check out my favorite stain pre-treater! I use this and it works awesomely!
I truly love this deodorant! It lasts for roughly 5 months so it is an awesome money-saver and totally healthy! Plus I don’t have to remember to buy it every two weeks at the grocery store which is such a plus for me since I can’t even remember what day of the week it is.
Here’s to smelling yummy for only pennies!